Monday, August 2, 2010

Hair like a beehive. Owch!

Many years ago, a sturdy-looking American writer named Ernest Hemingway ate lunch at a small round table with several other writers. He peered at his friends through the cigar smoke with his dark, volatile eyes and cleared his throat: "I bet each of you I could make a story from six words." They chuckled and guffawed until they found he was quite serious, as he usually was. Ernest scribbled on his napkin after they conceded to play his game, and passed it around the table of astonished authors.

The story he wrote that day was just six words, but as powerful as if it had been six thousand... "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Can you write a story out of six words? I thought this would be fairly easy to do, but I discovered that it's difficult to make them meaningful.

Just like the word count of Hemingway's story, we only have a little blip in time to live (compared to Noah's lifespan, a redwood tree, or even God's!)

I wish I could use such few words to mean so much... But more than that, I wish I could use the tiny amount of time I'm alive to enjoy God fully and to glorify His name- it's a good thing He's the Chief Author of my life, because not even Hemingway could do it alone!


Inspired by Sarah Wong

2 comments: